Analisa
What does it really mean to be faithful?  Here's the first definition in the Encarta dictionary: Unwavering belief. That alone was good enough for me but I will go ahead and give you the rest. Believing firmly in something or somebody, especially a religion or a political doctrine. I think I'll will stick with the first one. It's the closest man made definition that lines up with the word. Unwavering belief.

But he must ask in faith without any doubting, for the one who doubts is like the surf of the sea, driven and tossed by the wind.For let not that man think that he shall receive anything of the Lord;-- James 1:6-7


Keeping our definition in let's move on.
His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will set thee over many things; enter thou into the joy of thy lord.--Matthew 25:23


People quote this as what they want to hear from God when they die. Well done good and faithful servant. So what's involved in being a faithful servant of God? Being there whenever the church doors open? Serving in some capacity in the church? Those are good things but do we need to meet those requirements to be called faithful? I don't think so. The first thing to do to be faithful is to have faith in God. Or as some translations read have the faith of God.

And Jesus answering saith unto them, Have faith in God.--Mark 11:22

So keep up your courage, men, for I have faith in God that it will happen just as he told me.--Acts 27:25

Early in the morning they left for the Desert of Tekoa. As they set out, Jehoshaphat stood and said, "Listen to me, Judah and people of Jerusalem! Have faith in the LORD your God and you will be upheld; have faith in his prophets and you will be successful."--2 Chronicles 20:20

So how do you develop that faithful, unwavering faith.  I think the first thing we must do is make a decision to know God. You can't do that without spending time with The Word.

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.--John 1:1




Catch hold of that, and the Word was God. So to know God is to know The Word. I could come to your house every Sunday and your family could take turns telling me about you. Guess what! I still won't know you. If I want to know you I must spend time with you. Same with God. Since God equates himself with the Word then we should spend time in it. Only then will faith come.

So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.--Romans 10:17

If you want to be a good and faithful servant decide to know the word and be a doer of it. Just being able to quote a bunch of scriptures or debate doctrine is not faith. The more you get to know Him by his Word, the more you have faith in Him. So when trouble comes, and it will come. You will be able to stand with God against it by the Word.  If you aren't sure about God's word on the trouble you're facing then study. God will help you as seek Him. Only then will you be truly faithful.

Study to show yourself approved to God, a workman that needs not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.--2 Timothy 2:15
7 Responses
  1. IanH Says:

    Very good commentary! Thank you for posting it. I had not caught that definition before.


  2. Karen Says:

    Ah, good one. My pastor also says about faith, "untested faith is a faith that cannot be trusted." So in life our faith grows as we do. Thanks for this Analisa.


  3. Wanda Says:

    Enjoyed reading your thoughts on faith. I agree that knowing the Word is knowing God. The two are inseparable.


  4. Excellent post. My favorite definition, though, comes from Paul:

    Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. For by it the elders obtained a good report. Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.
    [Hebrews 11:1-3 KJV]


  5. Analisa Says:

    Thanks Grammy. I agree
    Yep that is definately the best definition of faith from a man who was faithful. I don't think most people really understand what that is.

    I wasn't trying to define Faith. But what it means to be faithful as Paul was. There is a difference. As you know Paul's faith was in God as other heros of the faith in that same chapter you quoted. I was trying to define faithfulness and how to obtain it by first having faith in God.

    Loved your comment though.


  6. Great post, sis. And I love that picture of Jesus and the girl hugging. What a great image of the Word becoming flesh and dwelling among us.

    Love you,
    Jen


  7. You live what you say and that means so much to me:) Your faith shows!