Analisa
When I was younger I watched the Miss America pagent.  I  listed the contestants I wanted to win and cheered them on.  I can recall the questions host Bert Parks would pose. I guess he was checking to see if the Miss Kentucky had a heart to go with her beauty. If you could give the world anything what would it be? I thought on that this week. Do you know what I would give the world? Compassion. I know you thought I was gonna say Jesus, but God already did took care of that.

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. John 3:16

This past week I read about a recent suicide of a designer, a wife divoircing her world famous minister husband, a white pop singers use of the "N" word, and the adultery of a pro golfer. With each came the usual public criticism. Compassion was rare.

You would think none of us had ever divorced, felt like giving up, or did something shameful.  Not even the designer who hung himself the eve of his mother's furneral could chip the ice off some of the hard hearted.

Look I am not pointing a finger I am squarely looking myself in the mirror because I was very judgemental.  Thank God he has raised me to do better. I repented of the words I spoke against that golfer when that story broke months ago. He sinned against God and his wife...not me.

Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.---Matthew 7: 1-5

Once I saw a clip of Marilyn Monroe after her divorce from baseball great Joe Demaggio. Large camera light bulbs flashed all around her as she left the courtroom. She looked like a wounded animal. Later she said it was like everyone wanted to take a bite out of her. Why do we think it is ok to tear people apart because they are famous? Maybe because of all the practice doing it to the obscure. You know what I mean. To our neighbors,children pastors,bosses, relatives and friends.

Just in case we have forgotten the word says;

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. ---Romans 5:8

Did you see that? Jesus came and died for the sinners. He didn't come for the I got it all together folks. He came for me. I still need his forgiveness. So before you pull the ladder out to climb up on that high horse remember this...the fall is greater from way up there.

For through the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think more highly of himself than he ought to think; but to think so as to have sound judgment, as God has allotted to each a measure of faith.--- Romans 12:3

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall----Confucius
5 Responses
  1. Karen Says:

    Analisa, you are so right. It's so much easier to point our fingers at people, like the hypocrites in Jesus' time. I needed that reminder.


  2. KelliGirl Says:

    Amazing grace that saved a wretch like me. How easy it is to point fingers/condemn/chastise/rebuke the "wretches" around us. Bashing others makes us feel better about ourselves...until we remember what a wretch we are.

    "All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." (Romans 3:23)


  3. septembermom Says:

    It's true that we shouldn't be so quick to judge. It's a human tendency that needs to be challenged when the temptation is there.


  4. This is an insightful post, but it's also generous and kind...just as you are...

    Take a bite out of her -- so true - she was a wounded animal, wasn't she?


  5. Lisa Says:

    And those of us that were/are the very lowest of sinners (ME) are the ones that understand compassion the most. "To whom (ME) much is given (forgiveness, mercy, grace, compassion), much (forgiveness, mercy, grace, compassion) will be required."

    I'm really enjoying your posts. :)

    Hugs,
    Lisa