Analisa
Have you ever had one of those days when you have a taste for something but don't know what it is? For me this leads trying several foods. Something cheesy or something salty. Then something creamy, then something sweet, then something spicy and then something medicinal for my heartburn. While I am trying all this at any moment I am expecting satisfaction, but it doesn't come. I am still hungry.

I have noticed this in other areas of my life. I will find myself flipping through the TV channels. Not in the mood for romance, history, comedy or drama I keep going. Finally I land on some show and when it ends the restlessness comes back. I begin the tour of channels once again. I am still hungry.

Turn my eyes away from worthless things; preserve my life according to your word. Psalm 119:37

I pick up a book, or a crossword puzzle and find a comfortable chair. I read a couple of chapters before I find myself distracted and staring out of the window.  I start on the puzzle and after filling in a few answers my brain turns to mush and the things I know elude me.  I am hungry. 

I begin to take an quick evaluation.  When did I last really devote some time to God? I know it is what I need to do, not later but now.  I flip on the TV again and waste a few more minutes. I then feel a little pull in my heart to go and seek out the only one who can fill me with peace. I get my favorite bible and pull out my one year guide and find the selected passage. A twinge of guilt hits as I note the days I have missed. I take the thought captive by confessing God's love for me. I read and pray and my peace returns and my hunger is filled.

...As the deer pants for the water brooks, So my soul pants for You, O God. Psalm 42:1

We think we can live a life that is satisfiying without God's direction in it. As long as everyone is healthy, money is in the bank and food is on the table we can get pretty comfortable with just religion but we need a relationship. That only that comes from a commitment to the Lord.

'I will give them a heart to know Me, for I am the LORD; and they will be My people, and I will be their God, for they will return to Me with their whole heart.--Jeremiah 24:7

Then Jesus went through the towns and villages, teaching as he made his way to Jerusalem. Someone asked him, “Lord, are only a few people going to be saved?” He said to them, “Make every effort to enter through the narrow door, because many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able to. Once the owner of the house gets up and closes the door, you will stand outside knocking and pleading, ‘Sir, open the door for us.’“But he will answer, ‘I don’t know you or where you come from.’ “Then you will say, ‘We ate and drank with you, and you taught in our streets.’ “But he will reply, ‘I don’t know you or where you come from. Away from me, all you evildoers!’ Luke 13: 22-27

Feed your hunger, go after God.


 Seek the LORD while He may be found; Call upon Him while He is near.--Isaiah 55:6
6 Responses
  1. Andrea Says:

    Feeding on HIM and HIS word,
    andrea


  2. Karen Says:

    I know what you are talking about. There is a craving that can only be satisfied by Him. Good words, Analisa.


  3. I am! I am!! More now than every in my life!


  4. You are so inspiring *smiling* But I've said that before, havent I? so what! I say it again!


  5. I LOVE this post! I've done this hundreds of times, Analisa. Thanks for the encouragement to focus on what will truly satisfy.

    Love
    Jen
    Audience Of ONE


  6. Lisa Says:

    "I take the thought captive by confessing God's love for me" - LOVE THAT

    Glory to God for His love for us. "There is now therefore no condemnation to them that are in Christ Jesus." I'm so glad that when we condemn ourselves, that His love does not.

    Lisa