Analisa
Finally the day arrives to see your friend’s newborn baby. The new mother’s face is glowing as she leads you to the nursery. You stand side by side looking down at the sleeping baby in the crib.
“Isn’t she beautiful?” The new mom declares proudly.
You lean into the crib for a closer look and make a declaration of your own.
“Nope, but she would look better if her eyes weren’t so close together. Maybe if she had better coloring or a smaller nose.”

Outlandish? Okay. Stay with me a moment I promise I am going somewhere with this.
Have you ever looked at tree and thought that would look better with a different colored trunk? Viewed pictures from the Hubble telescope and said that color red looks awful on Mars. Looked up at the mountains and considered that it could be improved with the removal of the snow caps or jagged peaks. Of course not. So why do we tear down the most precious thing God created. US. We all complain about our looks from time to time. Why does my hair have to been so straight, so curly, so gone? We complain about the way our legs, arms, waist or face looks. Perhaps we are insulting God like that “friend” insulted the new mom? He made us after all.

Psalms 139:13-16 says this: For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.

God sees us, His creation, as beautiful. God never called a human ugly. He does call folks beautiful in the bible. Like Sarah Abraham’s wife, Queen Vashti and Esther the woman who replaced her on the throne. The thing is we don’t have descriptions of them. God didn’t give qualifiers on beauty. It's very possible they looked like us. Skinny legs and all.

You’re beautiful. Learn to live with it.

My wife was too beautiful for words, but not for arguments. ---John Barrymore
4 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    Awesome post...and so true. how dare we critique God's work? I've always felt like children were more in tune with God than adults in that they haven't had time to develop complexes or know what's 'cool' or 'hip'. They are just themselves and they don't know any other way to be.


  2. Jane Says:

    Hi Analisa, thanks for dropping by my blog. Yes, you're right, we always look at how inadequate we are and compare ourselves with 'better' people. This is futile. If we would focus more on what God has already given us, we would start living out the abundant life and praising God everyday!


  3. And this is a beautiful post from a beautiful woman with a beautiful spirit...


  4. Analisa Says:

    Thank you for your comments.

    Also I want to welcome Mary who has become a follower all the way from Siberia. Mary is also a new blogger. Glad you are here!